Seattle Community Law Center (SCLC) is honored to present its 2nd annual Equity Award to Open Doors for Multicultural Families for long standing service to culturally and linguistically diverse families in the South Seattle area. The award recognizes an SCLC partner organization that demonstrates a strong commitment to racial and economic justice, and we are thrilled to award it to Open Doors for Multicultural Families in 2019.
Open Doors for Multicultural Families exists to provide support to families of persons with developmental and intellectual disabilities, many of whom are immigrants, refugees and/or people of color. Their ‘cultural brokering’ model allows them to communicate with their clients in their own language, and in a way that will make sense within their cultural context.
As SCLC transitions into its twenty-first year of offering service to disabled individuals in Western Washington, our capacity to provide civil legal aid is aided by our ability to partner with specialized organizations such as Open Doors for Multicultural Families so we can better fight the racialization of poverty.
This award celebrates the relationship between Open Doors for Multicultural Families and SCLC and our dedication to individuals with mental or physical disabilities. This partnership has existed since 2017, and it grows stronger each day.
It is with great pleasure that we present this award to Open Doors for Multicultural Families at our springtime event, Spring Into Action for SCLC on March 14, 2019 at 5:30pm. The event will be held at The Rainier Club in the Rainier Room 820 4th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104.
SCLC Equity Award
As an organization, one of our primary goals is to advance our commitment to better reflect the characteristics and experiences of our client communities. There are many organizations within our community that we can learn from and that exist as a shining example for how to operate in equity. We would like to recognize Open Doors for Multicultural Families and thank them publically for partnering with us to fight the racialization of poverty.
Why do we have an Equity Award:
- SCLC’s ability to make legal advocacy accessible to people living in the community is based on our ability to establish and maintain strong partnerships with community-based organizations
- SCLC’s is committed to strengthening our relationships with community organizations that, like SCLC, are led by and built for people who reflect the experiences of the people we are built to serve
- To share our platform, stage, and microphone with partner organizations that amplify the voice of our clients and fight against the racialization on poverty
- To publically recognize the good work of our community partners
- To raise awareness in the community about the impressive work of our partner organizations
Criteria for Selection:
- The award must go to a nonprofit organization or an individual who works at a nonprofit
- The recipient must have an explicit commitment to race equity work
- The recipient must be a community partner of SCLC
- The recipient must directly or indirectly alleviate poverty and reflect our client population
- The recipient must hold values that match the values that drive SCLC
We believe that the partnership between Open Doors for Multicultural Families and SCLC sets the gold standard for how and why a client-centered partnership works well and we would love to have you join us in recognizing this organization at Spring Into Action on March 14th.
1 2 3 … 41 Next »
© 2019 · all rights reserved · Seattle Community Law Center · 1404 E. Yesler Way, Suite 203 Seattle, WA 98122 · (206) 686-7252